Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thing #22, Learn about audiobooks

I signed up for a NetLibray account on the HCPL home page. I searched for an audiobook and checked one out and downloaded it. If I had not seen the NetLibrary Web 2.0 tutorial I would have been stumped on how to get a license as there were no instructions I could see. I did as suggested and closed down and signed on again directly to NetLibrary.

It is hard to choose between NetLibrary and Overdrive. From the tutorials Overdrive looks simpler to use. Overdrive includes DVDs. The main difference is in the content: Netlibrary is Recorded Books recordings, Overdrive has other publishers, including Brilliance, which recently has started to acquire rights to more of the bestsellers. I believe from a libary subscription point of view both offer different advantages - I think Recorded Books don't make limitations on the number of simultaneous downloads. Overdrive is provided by SAILOR and the number of titles our library has available depends on the level of our financial participation (am I remembering correctly?)

Project Gutenberg is a common good, but disappointing in that it is old books (out of copyright). I was surprised to see some of the recordings are abridged. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

No comments: