Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thing #15 Perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0, and the future of libraries

I read all the five perspectives and they opened up for me so many ideas to explore! My mind is spinning after reading "To a temporary place in time." What I get from that is that the library is not going anywhere - it has always been a place that has added to the quality of life and will continue to be valued for that in whatever form it takes.

Michael Stephens' "Into a new world of librarianship" says that "the library is human" because 2.0 makes "the library as socially and emotionally engaging center for learning and experience." I have to side with the many people who think that this is always what libraries have at least tried to be. That they have always been communities and user-centered and foster the individual and able to be personalized. I concede that with social computing, libraries are nearer than they ever have been before to the ideal.

I scimmed the articles on powerful ways to cooperate and better bibliographic services. I was relieved to see that there are people who are concerned with the quality of the shared content we will have access to.

I liked one author's admonition to avoid technolust.

I was worried about "Away from Icebergs" and the recommendation to get away from "just in case" collections. I agree with this in most public library settings, but was worried, about literature in particular, that some things would be lost forever.

No comments: