Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thing # 13 Tagging and discovering Del.icio.us

I don't quite know what to say about this. I forgot to post about this until some time after I created my account and did the discovery exercises, so my impressions are getting a bit blurry. I'm trying to be positive about the 23 things, but am left with a feeling of being underwhelmed by this one.

Underwhelmed and also frazzled - I did not like the "ubergeek slashdot unfriendly look," to quote Us.ef.ul ... I was confused by all the visual business. I think I would be more able to sort out the site if I had a task to do, but I couldn't think of one.

I can see the utility of the popular bookmarks. As the tutorial says, they must be great if you want to keep up on the cutting edge of the culture.

I can see how it might be wildly successful for people working on the same or similar projects to share good sites, blogs, etc.

As far as organizing bookmarks go, I would have to devote more time to trying out the different options. At the moment, in the cause of sanity I try to limit my bookmarks to a smallish number. I can see if you had a lot of different interests the rebundling feature is wonderful, as you can make sort of bibliographies for special projects you might be working on or for sharing with a particular person. I understood that feature of Del.icio.us straight away when described in the Otter Group tutorial. It has got a bit fuzzy since.

I wish I had some tips for other 2.0 ers. My only one this time might be, "Come back later and explore some more when you have time."

1 comment:

IrmBrown said...

I keep uploading my favorites or bookmarks to delicious and saying I will tag them... but I haven't had the time to do it yet! I have ... oh Lord, probably 300 bookmarks. I know, I know. Stupid. But, I do know that once I do it, I'll probably use Delicious exclusively. I get so frustrated when I'm working at home if I don't have access to my links.