Friday, June 15, 2007

Week 3, Thing # 7, Create a blog post about anything technology-related - Uses for Wikis

I am overjoyed because already after out Technology Fair I can see some possible uses for Wikis which I can use to my advantage as the current state President of the Daughters of the British Empire in Maryland, Inc.

DBE in Maryland is a nonprofit, charitable organization of women of British or Commonwealth descent who since 1909 have been supporting retirement homes throughout the United States and also local philanthropy. We need to keep renewing our chapters by recruiting new young women. In the last few years we have had some success from our National website. Individual states who can afford it have their own websites which are linked from National. Maryland has investigated having their own site, but for various reasons has decided not to right now. One reason is we cannot afford even the small costs some hosts would charge and we cannot afford a designer and have not been able to persuade a volunteer.

I have been looking into designing a site myself. Now I think we might jump right over website technology and go to a wiki as some libraries have. I am very interested in PB Wiki. Will have to look into all the pros and cons.

No comments: